![]() |
| pâté- GROSS |
Classes have obviously started. I am taking Italian 101, Dante's Commedia, Exploring Wine Culture, Modern Renaissance Art History, and Black and White Photography. I have already had a presentation in my Dante class which went well. My Italian is improving daily, though I am still far from fluent. Wine Culture is super fascinating. We have already visited the Uffizi in art history, and will be visiting the Bargello tomorrow. There is not too much to say about classes just yet other than I love all of my professors.
Not that my parents or grandparents want to read about this, but for all my friends and cousins reading this... the clubs, or discotheques are INSANE. We've pretty much been to the same clubs Jersey Shore has. Twice is not that great. One of the girls on the trip said it best... "Its called Twice because you go there the first time and it stinks, so you go back a second time... And it still stinks. And then you don't go back cause it was horrible twice." So true. I don't know what Jersey Shore liked about it. Every club we go to, my friend Mary and I try to get into the VIP sections, but they just don't let us. We can't figure out HOW those people get in there, but they look so glamorous when they stand behind the VIP section sign. Tough life. There are a lot of sketchy people in the clubs so we all dance together with our group and stay together. And NO, Mom, I do NOT put my drink down EVER. We try not to get drinks AT the club anyway because its so expensive. The crazy thing is that you could walk around holding your alcoholic beverage in your hand and they don't care. They also sell it to anyone and everyone. Not saying I do that...
There comes a time in every American's journey in Florence where one just wants to be surrounded by fellow Americans. So we all go to Red Garter and Lions Fountain or Den, where they have Beer Pong Tuesdays and karaoke nights and where there are more frat daddies than creepy Italian men around. As strange as it sounds, it is almost comforting to go to those places. I like 'em.
| Picci |
This weekend I will be traveling to the Almafi Coast, staying in a beach bungalow in Sorrento, and traveling to the island of Capri, and the seaside cities of Naples and Positano. I also booked my Fall Break trip that will consist of Paris and much of Ireland for 10 days total. Big spender? Nahh, travel is super cheap here! And we'll be staying hostels which are super cheap as well. Just because I'm Europe doesn't mean I'm not living like a college student!
Throughout the past two weeks, I have gotten to know the city of Florence much better. I know how to get from piazza to piazza. I have a general sense of where the good gelato places are located, where the nightlife is, and where to get a good cappuccino. I have also come to the conclusion that the possibility of my suffering from Lung Cancer in the future has greatly increased. Not because I've decided to take up smoking while abroad, (I promise I have NOT) but because EVERYONE AROUND ME smokes, and the exhaust from cars is not easily ventilated, thus the inhalation of dangerous fumes. But I digress... We have recently discovered a place called "Mama's Bakery" which is a DELICIOUS little American style bakery with OUTRAGEOUS chocolate chip cookies and an American style diner, called 'The Diner' (original) which serves pretty much everything an american diner would sell from french toast and pancakes to burgers and grilled cheese, and let me tell you... it is almost better than the diners at home because they don't smother everything in butter here! Yumm.
| My delicious breakfast at The Diner! |
Now, I'm sure you are thinking, well... Brittany must be as big as a house now... not true. Sure, I've probably gained a pound or so, but the amount of walking that we do is insane. AND it has been about 85+ since we got here so we sweat like no other. Its super gross, but hey, I'm over it.
It has taken me about 2 days to complete this blog, so I hope you all enjoy it. I regrettably have to go to my Wine class soon, so I will end here. Hopefully I update this thing more frequently than every two weeks. I promise I will make a valiant effort to do so.
As always, I miss everyone very very much, and the nostalgia of the summer months is absolutely slapping me in the face right now. Ugh, what I would give to be on the boat just one more time! But now I'm just being selfish...
I hope everyone has adjusted well to the regular routine of school and work and what not.
Liam- I hope you're killin' it on the golf course, Little Man.
Gracie- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I know this is a little early, but I'm sure by the time you get a chance to read this it should say "belated" as well. Can't wait to read your journal from student teaching!
Charles- bike ride?
Mom & Dad- Miss you guys so much. I can't thank you guys enough for giving me this opportunity of a lifetime!
Be well everyone!
XO B


Hi Brittany
ReplyDeleteLove the update, its nice to read about your experience in Florence. I am also glad you remember what I told you about the drinking.Enjoy and stay safe. I love and miss you too.I hope you get to see Naples and see where I was born.Talk to you soon.
Love
Mom
Hey Bee... I'm so happy you're getting the opportunity to have this wonderful experience! Take great pictures because I want you to come make a presentation to my social studies classes. We love and miss you and wish we were there too!
ReplyDeleteLove aunt Barbara
B,
ReplyDeleteThank you!!! I'm glad you are having a blast. I miss you also. Here is the title of my journal "is a c-section when a baby comes out of your butt?" I know... It gets me everytime. Hahaha. Your blog made my 14+hour day much more enjoyable.
Love you and miss you
Xoxoxozox
Graciegirl
I am SO in love with this blog!!! Aside from being an incredibly engaging writer (which, by the way, you are) your experiences are super fun to read about!! It is also part hysterical part wonderful that a legitimate class is wine culture. We all miss you here terribly, but can't blame you for having the time of your life over there in Italy. I love you and can't wait to hear more!!
ReplyDeletexoxo LK
(Also, you look gorgeous in all of your pictures. Italy clearly agrees with you!!!)
ReplyDeleteHey Bee! I'm so happy you're having an awesome time!!!! When you get home you have to tell me the best places to go because I'm going to Florence next fall :) Love the blog. I can't wait to hear about your fall break and Sorrento! Have fun!!!!
ReplyDeletexoxo <3
Ali
p.s. Let me know if you see any g-free places there!